Thursday, May 16, 2013

A World of Difference

Here's an interesting thought, if I look up the word "World" in the Oxford English Dictionary I get:

noun

1 (usually the world) the earth, together with all of its countries and peoples:



If I use the American dictionary on my phone I get

noun

1 A part of the earth that can be considered separately:


It is perhaps in this way that living in America I feel totally justified in claiming that I currently have the world's noisiest fridge, that Napa is in fact the world's most famous wine producing area (see their sign, it actually says that) and that, yes, Gilroy IS the "Garlic Capital of the World".  Which brings me to the real point.  I'm up to walking about 12-15 miles (or at least was before I just goofed off for a week) and it just so happens that the Garlic Capital of the World is only 16 miles from my own front door.  A plan is hatched.  This calls for a number 68 bus to the Garlic Capital (they leave every half hour to accommodate the demand) and a long and probably very  tedious walk back in a dead straight line all the way back to Morgan Hill, the world's most famous mushroom producing region.  A little homework to plan a route and the entire event will be blogged, right  here, in the world's most popular walking blog.....sorry Simon :-)

Since this will be 16 miles in a straight line, on roads, I might even blog it real time in practice for San Francisco (though the last time I tried that I got motion sickness).  Anyway, homework to do and some rest for what promises to be my first 16 miler!!! WooHoo!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment